Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Maple Sugaring
02-18-2016, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 02-29-2016 04:07 PM by Maine Democrat.)
Maple Sugaring
How many of you are sugaring this year? It looks like it is going to be a good season. I boiled off 4 gallons of syrup during that last warm spell at the end of January.

The sap ran very well yesterday and I will be starting my second boil this week. I use maple syrup on my oatmeal and in my coffee every day of the year. Lugging sap buckets for a month or two is good for your conditioning as well.

Picture of our grove.
[Image: Our_maple_grove.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2016, 08:32 AM
RE: Maple Sugaring
One of my sons just bought some more equipment last week and is waiting for the weather. It has been too cold here (Dover Foxcroft area) yet to get it running....but if the weather holds it looks like it may be a long season.

We enjoy it in all kinds of ways as you say, it is real nice stuff.

WC
02-18-2016, 08:40 AM
Half of our trees on on a southeast slope so we can start early and end early. We have a few taps on tubing but without vacuum equipment you loose too much flow. We have 24 taps on tubing where it is a difficult slope to walk and 301 taps on jugs. It keeps us busy.
02-19-2016, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2016 06:26 PM by Mike G.)
I tapped my 10 trees today, there wasn't much flow but should go tomorrow.

I have no evaporator so just several canning pots on the wood stove. I can only evaporate so much and not create a sauna, but it is all I need, a good year 1 to 2 gallons, I give some away, but only let's say in trade for those deserving. ; )
02-19-2016, 10:05 PM
It is amazing how many friends show up during sugar season. Not so much to lug sap but to lug syrup home. We enjoy the company and give syrup to our friends, family, neighbors and best hay customers. The "deserving" term is re-interpurted each year depending on how much syrup we make. It kind of reminds me of homebrewing when friends had the uncanny ability to know when the bottled brew was ready. We are starting our second boil tomorrow and have an overworked maze evaporator ment for fewer taps than we run.
02-19-2016, 10:54 PM
Wife got me a home brew kit a year ago, and I've made two batches about this time in spring/winter nothing better to do.

I've got a third batch that I've got to bottle tomorrow or next. I buy the packaged kits that range between 30 to 40 bucks, but for about 2 cases I find I can't complain, it is hard to get brew for less and greater quality really. For special occasions holidays it is nice to go down into the cellar and bring up some british stout or such>
02-20-2016, 07:42 AM
I make wine and beer and currently I have the makings for about 10 5 gallon batches of beer and one batch of wine. I need to get some time to make some. I will start a homebrewing thread.
02-20-2016, 07:48 AM
I used to make beer, but found that the home brew stuff added inches to my waist, and some of the micro brews available today are quite good.
Any of you folks ever try Yeunglings?
Oh, BTW, Mike G, don't overdo the priming sugar.
Makes an awful mess.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
02-21-2016, 01:43 PM
Big sap run last night. I had around 200 gallons of sap from 325 taps waiting for me this morning. I am boiling hard trying to keep up with the sap flow today.
02-21-2016, 07:50 PM
We collected far more sap today than we can evaporate in one day. I am getting up at 4:00 tomorrow morning and starting the evaporator.