Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The War on Cash
02-11-2016, 10:11 PM
RE: The War on Cash
Thanks for the link Mike, hadn't seen that place before. Prices seem to be pretty similar as they all watch the silver market and their items fluctuate in price same as the market does.

If you check the prices on a regular basis, and watch ebay often, it is sometimes possible to find pretty good buys, especially on dimes.

My dad was a coin collector and had some nice things which he gave to me. I sold most of the "collectible" ones as their value was much higher than the value of the metal content!

Took and bought junk silver with most of the profits.

Best thing about this is that Yellen does not have one damn thing to do with it, thank god. It is a perfectly private system of money that just might save our bacon one of these days.

Goes without saying that if you have things "set aside" that you absolutely need to have what it takes to defend it, but I know you are just as well prepared as we are.

We are under NO illusions as to what the countryside might look like if something like the Great Depression happens today.

That is exactly why we are living in rural farm country! Man has to be able to take care of himself, unlike Portland. I wonder how much of a vegetable garden one can have in a two room apartment in Portland anyway!

WC
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2016, 10:35 PM
https://sdbullion.com/silver/silver-coin...-90-silver

Found another source than the provident one, just shows it pays to look around, I get complacent.

I have to say though WC I don't have 150 laying hens or the farm you have, so you are better prepared than I, but we do what we can. and it is important that we spread the knowledge around so others will prevail and not be beating at our door.
02-12-2016, 06:14 AM
Mike, if you have the space get a couple of laying hens, well worth it. Just the 12 we have provide more than enough eggs for us, and friends. Good to use for barter
02-12-2016, 08:03 AM
In the book "Deep Winter" by TC Sherry, the Drummond family went from comfortable middle class family.....to a disaster situation in just minutes, as the SHTF after a disasterous volcanic eruption in Washington, State.

Their home was made "unlivable" so they took up residence in what had been his barn/workshop.

Some of their neighbors were killed early on and others tried to leave to go be with family some other place. On family had several dozen chickens that the Drummonds moved over to their place and cared for.

Of course it was fiction but those chickens, and more imporantly their eggs, were almost like having the ability to print your own money!

We first read it several years ago, then decided early on that the lesson was learned well and chickens have been part of our life ever since!

My dad was only a young teen, living alone with his mother in the winter of 1933-34. She had several hens and a rooster or two, important if you want to produce MORE hens. His mother had a good garden that summer and put up everything she could. He told me they would have starved to death that winter if NOT for those chickens....and their eggs.

That lesson has been in there for a long time.

We think they are a very important part of preparing for any survival situation as fresh eggs can be used as "money" in barter and trade situations, just like the silver dimes, ammo and a whole lot of other stuff.

I pity those folks who live in the "partments" as they won't have a chance. We should have learned that in Hurricane Katrina! Some of us did....most didn't. If you live your life with the expectations that government is going to always "take care of you" that might just be fatal mistake one of these days. Politicians are some of the dumbest people in the country, possessing only the art of the "ballyhoo" and not the kind of mind that can think in these kinds of situations.

WC
02-12-2016, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2016 08:13 AM by Islander.)
Learn to bake bread, grow beans. It doesn't have to be gourmet, just filling. The book One Second after is an eye opener also.
02-12-2016, 10:51 AM
"“We don’t want someone to be able to track digitally what we buy, eat and drink, what books we read and what movies we watch,”
"EU finance ministers vowed at a meeting in Brussels on Friday to crack down on “illicit cash movements.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2...ahrer-says
Coming here in a very short time, or at least they will try
02-12-2016, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2016 06:41 PM by Mike G.)
The main breaker will be negative interest rates on checking/savings accounts, if that doesn't get the masses pissed I'll assume they all have EBT cards.

25 years ago I had my last chickens in the shed that now is filled with snow tires summer tires on wheels etc. I got tired of being the fast food stop for every Fox, Coon, and Skunk in town.

I had them free range and they were free to every 4 legged critter, the night time raids by the coons were particularly nasty.

BUT I know what you mean, there is nothing better than a free range, non-store bought egg or fryer. Back when Maine shrimp were cheap, I loved feeding the heads and shells to the chickens and getting striated yolks of yellow and deep orange and so good.

It did take several years before I got on the Rand Mcnally 4 legged tourist map, having been off it the past quarter century I could build a modest coop and get back in business.

Anyone got some broody Banties and fertile layer eggs?
02-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Mike, we were raided by skunks last year, which can do a hell of a job on chickens and eggs. Sure hurt us and we lost quite a few birds before we figured out who the culprits were.

Got my big Havahart box trap out and went to work. I had plenty of "bait" as there were dead chickens around in the woods. Trapped 5 skunks and one feral cat before snow got here. Took down a 150 gal Rubbermaid stock tank and filled it 3/4 full of water and had it right near the box trap. Caught skunk, put blanket over trap, took the whole thing for a "swim" for a period of time, then threw the dead culprit on the brush pile. Side benefit was it washed the crap off of my bait hen so I could use it again!

I had a friend in Deer Isle and he was the local wild animal "go to guy" when you had some sort of pest around. He would catch a skunk in one part of town and get paid for removing him. He would take the skunk to another part of town and let him go. Sooner or later somebody in that area would call him to remove a "pest skunk". That is called "job security".

Worst predator we ever had was a mama bobcat and her yearling cub last March. There was so much snow the cats could not find their traditional food.So they took to stopping by at the "drive in" as you say. We heard a hellish commotion about 9:00 pm one night. Both boys and I went down to investigate, one boy had the light, the other had his shotgun. The boy with the light opened the henhouse door and there was mama cat with a hen right in her mouth. But the boy with the gun was behind me and could not get a shot off. That cat went out of there like greased lightening.

Next morning some cat hunters I know came up with a dog wearing a radio collar so they could track the dog (why didn't we have the technology when I went rabbit hunting as a kid?). They ran the mama cat up a big pine and could not get a shot at her. They told us the cats would come back to the henhouse, and they did.

I was at the kitchen sink about 10 in the morning and saw the young male cat trying to get in the door. Hollered to my youngest who took my old Mossberg 22 rifle, with an excellent scope on it, opened his bedroom window ever so quietly and drilled Mr cat in the head from about 75 yds. He bragged but I said OK, but it was my rifle and scope that really let you do the job.

The cat was a beautiful animal and the fur was right in prime. I felt a bit sad about killing something so beautiful but I can't feed all the wildlife too!

Keeping chickens requires constant vigilance, you are right. But the payoff is great. Store bought eggs taste like cardboard to me now, I would never go back.

We have a little egg market and the hens pay for themselves and then some most of the time. I buy grain in 1000lb bags so it is way more affordable than the local Agway store. We get stale bread from Country Kitchen by the pick up truck load so it all helps. Our pigs love the bread and so don't cows.

WC
02-16-2016, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2016 03:03 PM by Mike G.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc_pnP8wZkk#t=1255

Here is a good video describing the world's Ponzi scheme discussed by two level headed people
02-17-2016, 09:33 AM
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-02-16...l-100-bill

Outlawing the 100 dollar bill, the banks are taking over