Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are there too many / overlapping forum areas?
01-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Are there too many / overlapping forum areas?
This is just one guy's opinion... I thought I would put it out there while the site is still young enough to consider changes. After spending some time with the forum areas, I think there are too many and the overlap. Some of the negatives of this can be avoided by using "View New Posts" and "View Today's Posts" however I still think site usage would be more fun with a few less categories which are a bit more distinct.

Here would be my approach:

Annoucnments - keep

Informational Hub - rename Organizational Corner, move existing threads to more appropriate area and move this next to Candidates Corner. Or remove.

National & Local News - move threads into State & Local Issues or National & World Issues (see below)

State & Local Politics - keep, rename "State & Local Issues"

The Federal Government - keep, rename "National & World Issues"

Guns & Ammo - keep

Homeschooling VS Publik Skools - remove, moving the 1 existing topic into National & World

Candidates Corner - keep

War Zone - remove, IMO people do not generlly decide to fight in adavnce.

Suggestions for board changes - remove; posts like this are really annoying (kidding).

Alternative Energy - keep

I have not listed the more specialized areas (Saving AMG, ACRLC), which is not to say I think they should go.

Effectively this means for most posts when deciding what forum to post in you mainly would just have to decide if it is
a) Apolitical
b) Maine-based
c) Outside of Maine
d) or related to one of just 3 big topics which have seen activity
e) one of a few miscellaneous minor topics (like this area I'm posting in)

And if I was having a super neurotic day I would sort the forums in just that order (except leaving Announcements at the top).

I think this would also make browsing the site more pleasurable. People just balk at long lists.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2014, 10:24 AM
RE: Are there too many / overlapping forum areas?
I've been thinking along the same lines....stand by for some changes....

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Yes.

Whether or not it is the direct cause, on 1 day, there were three (at least), distinct Police-State topics in three different forums.

At this moment, I'm looking to add to Mike G.'s recent 'Leviathan' topic. It's not currently the most recent so it isn't showing. I'll have to open forums until I find it and that is a little annoying.

Otherwise, nice job keeping with the housekeeping, Butch Moore!
01-11-2014, 03:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2014 03:49 PM by Butch Moore.)
Any better now?

Taxfoe, if all three threads are discussing the same thing, post the links to them here and I think I can merge them, if it's appropriate.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Butch, thanks for reorganizing... looking good
01-11-2014, 06:48 PM
Butch is doing a great job. I am beginning to feel guilty. Blush

Taxfoe, have you tried the search feature in the upper right hand corner?
01-11-2014, 07:50 PM
It might be a problem if there wasn't "View Today's Posts". But there is.

If there wasn't "View Today's Posts", it definitely would be better if there were fewer categories.

I would think that the way to go is to start with one category. And then, when there are too many threads on one topic, a new category is started to hold all those threads.
01-11-2014, 07:53 PM
Seems to be working quite nicely the way it is.

KISS

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh