Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Computer tech question re Google "interest survey" ads
11-25-2015, 09:05 PM
Computer tech question re Google "interest survey" ads
Our beloved Bangor Daily News has taken a new tact. Obviously trying to raise more money from it's online operation, rather than establishing a paywall as the PPH did have taken a back door approach to it.

The BDN has partnered with google to have these "interest ads" run in various places. They essentially block out the story, making it unreadable, until you answer several questions of an advertising survey nature. Google makes money off of these ads by marketing them aggressively to potential advertisers. The BDN, partnering with Google in this sordid enterprise, makes money off of it also thus increases it's revenue in a delightful new way, one that pisses me off to no end.

You go to Google ad management and there is an opt-out download that does away with double click cookies on your computer so you won't see the ads......but it does not work. There is no way to get rid of them that I can discern. I first read that it was something to do with the browser "google chrome" which I have used for several months. So I just tried it with Firefox and get the same thing. It is something on the BDN site that puts in on when you try to read the stories.

Anyone got any good ideas as to how one might block this sort of thing. It is a pretty cheesy way of setting up a paywall of sorts......without really making it a "paywall". You have to answer the questions to read the story.....and the paper gets money for you doing just that.

Thoughts?

WC
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2015, 10:14 PM
RE: Computer tech question re Google "interest survey" ads
Have you tried installing the AdBlock Plus plugin?
12-03-2015, 11:16 PM
RE: Computer tech question re Google "interest survey" ads
Neighbor was accessing wifi from 450 feet away. Wasn't from our devices