Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Routers WiFi Smart Phones
10-29-2015, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2015 12:59 PM by Mike G.)
Routers WiFi Smart Phones
I've noticed that my wifi activity on the router goes ballistic at certain times.

The only person in the house that uses it is the wife with her laptop and smart phone. What has me puzzled though is she isn't using them when the wifi goes ballistic and drags my connection to dialup speed.

My computers are direct connected to the dsl router.

So my immediate thought is neighbor, but the wife says can't be neighbor I had to use password to connect my laptop, but that has been several years ago.

But she didn't have to use password for her phone. Of course the phone may not be using the wifi.

The question could a neighbor use my wifi when they are 400 feet away?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2015, 01:17 PM
RE: Routers WiFi Smart Phones
I don't think 400 is inconceivable, although it seems kind of far there are a lot of variables.

These computers connecting via dsl, are you sure they don't have wifi enabled?

Find out if the phone is connecting without a password or not by playing with the settings, you can turn the cell radio off while enabling only wifi for example.

You could install a diagnostic program to can show you what the network traffic consists of. Wish I could recommend one but it's not my thing.
10-29-2015, 11:21 PM
RE: Routers WiFi Smart Phones
No wifi enabled on hard wire connection on computers.

I think it is probably her cell phone, the drain on dsl is substantial, it completely takes over the dsl bandwidth.

I'll let us know what I find