Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pellet Stoves
01-09-2014, 09:46 PM
RE: Pellet Stoves
Bob, I haven't worked on the battery backup yet, but I am running a pellet stove this year for the first time. I have shoulder surgery coming up and just can't do the wood like I have all my life. I'm using all hardwood pellets from a company in Maine.

Up until this year I have run a wood stove down in the basement. The heat down there absolutely does warm the floors and make things more comfortable. I still have some wood and on the coldest nights a fire still warms up those floors, even with the pellet stove going.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2014, 07:58 AM
The battery back up is pretty simple.
Two large deep cycle batteries with a 1000W inverter will run one of my stoves for eight hours without using the ignitor.
There are systems available that will take over automatically.

Is it considered a conspiracy if they really are after you?Huh
Find all posts by this user
01-10-2014, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 10:11 AM by Butch Moore.)
According to the paperwork with my stove, it takes 425 to run it with the igniter going and 175 once it completes the startup cycle. I haven't tried it yet, but I would think that my 500 watt inverter should run it for a while.

I have heard that generator power is not safe for the electronics on these stoves. Does anyone have experience in this area?

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
01-10-2014, 10:45 AM
There are several concerns with respect to generators and electronics: power/voltage surges and the wave quality.

Cheap generators just have an RPM control which is really not adequate. Better ones also have a voltage regulator. Additionally adding a surge protector is a good idea.

Some generators do not have an inverter. Some produce only square waves and some produce low quality sine waves. Your electronics likes true sine waves.

Generators with voltage regulation and with inverters that produce true sine waves are more expensive.

ₒₒₒₒ ©(¯õ¿õ¯)® ₒₒₒₒ
Breitbart was here
Veritas vos liberabit
01-10-2014, 12:48 PM
TANSTAF1, how viable is running an inverter off a deep cycle battery while also charging it from a generator at the same time. It seems like the same thing campers do while hooked up at a campground, or for that matter what your car does going down the road. It also seems like a more cost effective way to run a pellet stove during an outage if you have a generator to run the rest of your house, which is why I ask.

Bob, good idea on this section of the site.

01-10-2014, 01:45 PM
While batteries add a complexity and a cost I think they are a good idea. They can smooth voltages and if the bank is big enough you can run off them for a while and shut a noisy generator down,

I don't know what are the rules or propriety of posting a link here to another forum so I have sent you a PM to a couple of threads from a forum from which I get most of my info on this. There are lots more threads there on generators, etc.

ₒₒₒₒ ©(¯õ¿õ¯)® ₒₒₒₒ
Breitbart was here
Veritas vos liberabit
01-10-2014, 10:04 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 10:14 PM by Ugene.)
I have a crew that comes to hunt camp for one week at the end of November where we, basically, go and live like Amish folk.
Camp is a 40' well insulated former potato trailer with bunkbeds, couch, tables, two gas cooking stoves, non electric diesel stove, 12v CFLs, 120V system run by a 1000W inverter, 6 deep cycle batteries, home made 12V charging system, H&C running water, and a gas light.
We like to be comfy, as you can see.

If you're looking to buy an inverter, try to find one that has a thermostaticly controlled fan.
Just the amount to run the inverter can be quite a drain on the batteries.
We're looking to start adding solar charging capacity next year as well.

One of these can be invaluable when determining watt usage;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...0111014555Confused

WC
The only experience I've had with gassification stoves are the old Tarm boilers with fire tubes.
They had a wet base design with a refactory deflector and a secondary air inlet.
When every thing was on point, you could hear the fire roaring as the secondary air was introduced.
They were a nice furnace for the money if your wood was dry enough and the boiler was sized right for the load.
The last indoor boiler setup I had was two 70K BTU Tarms set side by side.
Most of the time I only used one, but when the temps got cold. say below zero, I would crank up #2.
In the summer months, I've held a fire in one for five days just making domestic HW.

01-11-2014, 08:44 PM
I run a Harman P61 and heat 1,000 sq/ft with 5 tons and will keep the place at 80 all the time. My oil furnace runs radiant in the basement to keep it a low 50 and heats up the water tank. If I didn’t have a pellet stove I would go broke filling that oil tank once a month. Instead I can run 400 gallons of oil from Fall to Spring.

The best battery backup is a generator. The past ice storm was a test from some pellet stove owners, because they are useless without power for several days.

I keep an old woodstove in my garage in case of a big crisis. At least I can hook up the wood stove and keep the place from freezing up if all fuel sources are cut off.

Someday, I would like to convert the radiant basement and hot water heater over to solar. Most radiant systems run at 120 and the solar panel heats water up to 120 even on a cold winter day with overcast.
01-11-2014, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2014 09:27 PM by Ugene.)
My pellet stove in the cellar is next to the oil boiler.
I'm going to put a water loop into the Harman firebox and plumb it to the boiler, setting it to run the upstairs baseboard loop when the temp reches 190, if it ever does.
That way I can use pellet heat to run my boilermate domestic system.

Come summer, I'll be investing in one of these made in beeeutiful downtown Brewer Me.;
http://www.nyle.com/water-heating/geyser-r/

Not sure what the rebate will be, but the unit should end up costing less than $500 with the added benefit of cooling the cellar in summer..