Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EBT Fraud
01-07-2014, 07:49 PM
EBT Fraud
Heard about this on my drive home, so I'm posting it here. If there is already a thread, please delete this one.

Bangor Daily News article on EBT Fraud

The Maine Wire on EBT Fraud
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2014, 09:10 PM
RE: EBT Fraud
Is anyone but a liberal surprised? I did not see any mention of the story on the evening news, I wonder if we ever will.
01-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Not a chance. Progressives are certain abuse is in the 1% range at most. Not worth worrying about.
01-08-2014, 06:44 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 07:05 AM by Moving Forward.)
I was very surprised to see it covered last night on the WGME-13 news out of Portland, but they also mentioned how this abuse is a very small percentage of the overall program.

BTW, here's the story from today's KJ:

LePage: Transaction records show welfare cards abused

--> http://www.kjonline.com/news/LePage__Dat...suse_.html
01-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Ask them if it is ok for their employees to steal just a little bit from their business, after all you would not want to demonize your employee would you?
01-08-2014, 09:08 AM
I have only known TWO people who used the system appropriately. Guess I've had the misfortune to have contact with the wrong 1% of Maine's population...

Can the state go after the businesses that allow the EBT cards to be misused?
01-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Actually they're saying the numbers show the incidence of fraud is a third of one percent.
I haven't looked at the reports myself so I don't presume to know.
The D narrative is becoming:
Very low incidence of fraud - hooray!
Still can't be ignored, so go after the businesses that are enabling the fraud.

This is a populist issue.
Know what happens when politicians pass laws to fix stuff like this?
We get hit with compliance and administrative costs that negate most or all of the savings.

Look at all the rules and reporting requirements imposed on colleges and universities.
Most of the administrative positions added over the past couple of decades have been due to compliance with such. Students pay the price.
01-08-2014, 10:14 AM
I would bet the abuse is worse since you cannot track what the cash is used for. It may be sent back to Somalia, or some other third world country. I would say no more cash, just for use on food staples. Also heard there is more to come...
01-08-2014, 10:45 AM
(01-08-2014 10:04 AM)BackShore Wrote:  Actually they're saying the numbers show the incidence of fraud is a third of one percent.

Someone addressed this on the radio this morning, that sampling was from a 3,700 person subset of the original 224,000 people on the program. It was then extrapolated to include the whole population.

In other words, the numbers they report are bogus and not real as it pertains to the program, just that 3,700 subset. But somehow THAT never made it to the mainstream news.
01-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Cash withdrawals shouldn't be allowed. Not sure how they could be allowed in the first place.

Maybe that's where the lady with four children on the full state ticket (used the same daycare as me) got her alligator skin boots while her kids went hungry. No I'm not kidding. Yes I reported it to the state, both the abuse of her state aid and the neglect of her children. Nothing happened.

Eventually, the state was going to come in and take the kids so she placed them temporarily with other people (who did not get state aid). She never looked back and went on to have an additional 7 kids, still on the full state ticket.